Tuesday, September 19, 2006

back to school, back to school, jiggedy jig

Didn't really see it coming but here it is: Monday I go


It is true.

Lane Community College runs an Energy Management class. It is one of only 5 programs in the country. It is a two-year applied science degree, and while a handful of credits from my Bach degree do count it is not a continuation of Philosophy of Psychology. But then again what could someone possibly do without those degrees anyway?

The program has two veins. One focuses on renewable energy installation: from solar heating, to solar electricity, to wind power and rain water collection systems. The other focuses on accesing the efficiency of a buildings energy use. Most common in older or retro-fit buildings, but increasingly popular with new construction (read: mechanical engineering firms). The program has placed 100% of their students within a month of graduation for the last 10 years or more, all within a reasonable salary range. To top it all off: I would be working in a field that takes energy use and its effects very seriously.



Brielle and I have looked at the cost and feel that it is within our means to afford the classes. Brielle also hopes to take some classes within a year or two. And for less than $70 a credit hour it makes me wonder what Dordt did with all the money I gave/promied to them.



P.S. pictures of the desk are still on their way.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

hey big brother!! thats awesome! i wondered if you would ever go back for a different degree...hope the homework isn't too bad.....keep me posted on how it goes!!! I LOVE YOU!

ethan said...

hurray for matt!

Anonymous said...

hey old friend.

Adam said...

That is pretty cool. From now on, my gage for whether or not the world is going to explode is whether or not Matt has within the last 2 years found a new passion. When I hear that Matt's been spending all of his time doing the same thing for 5+ years, I'm going to:
a)poop, because I'm scared that the apocalypse has come,
b)buy enough creamed corn, frank's red hot, and Oreos to last through a decently long nuclear winter, and head for the ol' fallout shelter. Oh, and comic books too.