Wednesday, October 08, 2008

In the World of Fiber Optics


So I learned this week that all the fiber optic traffic for the entire city goes thru the room two doors down from my office. A fiber optic signal travels at 90 some % of the speed of light in at least 60 different colors. That is either one amazing light show, or enough information to choke a librarian. For you techno geeks this means that if I had a computer fast enough to receive the information, I could download files at a few gigabits per second. Or in other words it would take less than a minute to download all 3 Lord of the Rings movies, extended versions.

This is merely an example: I do not condone pirating movies. Our national laws deems such actions as illegal, and rightfully so. Besides with sites like THIS what else do you need?

No comments: