Thursday, April 09, 2009

Steve's Question #2

How does a heat pump work?


The basic premis here is to think about heat moving, whether that is you heating your house (bringing heat into your home from the outside) or whether you are cooling your house (heat being forced from inside your house to the outside).


So while it is common to think about a window air conditioner bringing cold air into your home, it is easier to understand the process if you think about heat being removed from the air. That heat is pushed out the back coils.


It may be helpful to think about your refrigerator. I am sure you have noticed that refrigerators tend to be warm on the outside. This heat is two part. One part is the heat created from the compressor (which is what you might hear click on and run from time to time). The other part is the heat that is being pulled out of the food. When you put a warm beverage in the refrigerator and close the door, the compressor pulls the heat out of the liquid and pushes it out the coils on the backside (or the bottom).

With the goal of keeping things short I will stop here for now, and pick it up again later.
Honeywell has a nice flash presentation here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice posts. I never knew about heat pumps, always had kind of a bad feeling. I guess I was wrong. Thanks for the info. I'm leaving you behind though, I'm interested in oil heat now. I'm finding out many interesting things. Do you have any experience with this?

Steve