Thursday, October 20, 2005

A Change of Mind and Soul

I have just committed myself to a time of fasting. Actually it was earlier today but by posting it I hope to feel more accountable to myself. Promises to myself seem the least important to keep no matter the context in which they were made.

In preparation I am reading through the appropriate chapter in Celebration of Discipline.

My goals for this period include:
- calming and stilling my body
- recognizing the role food normally plays in my life
- treating everyone with the same patients and respect that I do when I am satisfied and not in want
- recognizing that the peace needed to do as such comes from God and not me
- bringing my sinful self before God each time my body complains

I realize it is encouraged to keep these sort of things private, but I know that I will not follow through with it unless I have some others to keep me accountable.

May God keep me humble as I struggle to make this an experience and not an accomplishment.

4 comments:

nokomis said...

good job matt. my roommates and i were just talking about how good we felt even though our bodies were angry at us when we fasted 3 days. it is difficult but now we all know so you can't back out... muahahahaha....

Adam said...

Wow. That's an interesting coincidence. I just got done fasting myself. Man was I cranky. And at the 24-hour mark I literally felt high. AND! after it was all done, my body would not retain water. Within 20 minutes of drinking, I would promptly pee it all back out. Kind of weird. But I have noticed that my brain worked a little bit better during and shortly after the fast.

So hey buddy. Good to read you. I know I've bitched about this on my blog, but internet time is a bit tricky here, so that's why this is actually my first time on your blog.

Also interestingly, I've been playing a bit of volleyball lately, as you have, and I've been loving it. There's a guy who played division 1 Penn State Varsity V-ball, so he's been teaching us some things and I've gotten a little better. I'd almost forgotten how essential competition is to a person's mental health. Take care dood.

gerard said...

Damn I really miss you sometimes man.

Holli said...

I feel like God is really moving in a lot of us in an interesting way - I have felt compelled to fast one day/week for a certain purpose... I just read Ian's blog that said he was going to be fasting once/week and now, I read your blog about your fasting - and your friend here who commented. I just find it interesting.

Yesterday was my first day of fasting and it really did help me - every time I was hungry, I remembered to pray about the issue I am fasting about. It's strange how connected to our stomachs we are, huh?